Viruses and malware continue to evolve at an increasing pace, forcing security practitioners to try and stay ahead of the countermeasure game. In reality, this proves to be a never ending battle against threat agents with more available resources. The advent of machine learning and artificial intelligence brought some hope to the digital battlefield with new intelligence approaches. But what happens when that same technology gets turned on its head and used to proliferate malicious code? Could a virus leverage AI technology to evolve into a new adaptable digital threat? This session examines the probability of AI-based malware, what it means for the information security professional and what potential impacts it could have on organizations. As some of this technology is already available, the session will explore the line between technology fact today and technology fiction that could become fact tomorrow. Attendees with leave with a better understanding of where things stand today and how to prepare countermeasures for what may be coming on the horizon.
- What does an AI-driven virus look like?
- How a self-evolving and adaptable virus could spread
- Scenarios demonstrating the potential impact of autonomous viruses in the wild
- Potential countermeasures for today's threat and tomorrow's potential threat
- Ethical issues that could hinder a proper response
Technical Level: Medium